Welcome to the Carterton Community Website

News What's On 
Community Business Discover Carterton

Reporting Missed Bin Collection:


OCC Highways Department Statement regarding Road Repairs in Carterton

Carterton Town Council is not informed by the Oxfordshire County Council Highway Department of any decisions made with regards to road repairs within our town; they have no statutory obligation to do so.

If we receive a complaint at the Town Hall regarding potholes/verges/streetlights etc. we too use the “FixMyStreet” online reporting system in the same way as residents - https://fixmystreet.oxfordshire.gov.uk

We have been asked recently why the Highways Department have undertaken work on Burford Road and Cotswold Way when there are worse roads in the town requiring attention. We placed an enquiry with them last week on your behalf and these statements have been issued:

Burford Road – “The treatment was micro-surfacing which is a preventative treatment designed to prolong the existing carriageways life. Whilst the road was resurfaced in, I believe, 2011 it is showing signs of wear and deterioration. The micro will seal the carriageway, hopefully preventing water ingress and halting the need for continuous patch repairs and much more costly resurfacing.

Micro is designed to be used on roads that are beginning to fail and not roads that are in need of major repairs, so it can seem we are surfacing roads that don't particularly need work. These works formed part of a preventative maintenance programme which aims to target works on sections of road to extend their life with a minimum of cost. It is hoped this treatment will extend the road’s life for a further eight to ten years with minimal maintenance.

Cotswold Way – “The patching works were flagged up by the Highways Officer as needing attention and was greater in area than he was allowed to deal with under the defect system. These works were put forward for minor patching and a gap in the forward programme allowed the works to be completed quickly.”

Staff at the town hall are always happy to help find answers to any highway questions you may have but you can also do this yourself directly at:


Pothole Complaints

The Town Hall staff are always happy to help residents in any way possible with any issues they may have. However we are finding the complaints we receive almost daily about the condition of our roads very frustrating. They are often of a terse nature which naturally upsets us, so we would like to explain that all of our Councillors and the majority of our staff live in Carterton and like everyone else, we are fed up with the state our roads are in. If we could fix them we would, but we can’t. We all want the same thing: decent roads and infrastructure, so we are kindly requesting that all future complaints are directed towards the responsible authority: Oxfordshire County Council. You can contact them as below:

Tel No. 0345 310 11 11

FREE fortnightly Environmental Email Bulletin
For the latest conservation news, evening talks, or an afternoon of volunteering, plus jobs and training SIGN UP to Wild Oxfordshire's email bulletin. Just click on our website www.wildoxfordshire.org.uk
Clare Mowbray, Wild Oxfordshire
For the latest conservation news, an evening talk or an afternoon of volunteering - sign up to our Free fortnightly Environmental Bulletin.

Robert Courts MP

The member of parliament for West Oxfordshire, Robert Courts, is very keen for all residents to be able to read what he is up to in the constituency and in Westminster. To read his latest newsletter, previous newsletters and future newsletters, please click here.

Carterton Masterplan
Please click here to see the Carterton Masterplan Initiative.   To see the Summary Report, please call into the Town Hall to view a hard copy or email Tan Marchant on the Contact Us page to receive a copy by email.

Reporting issues from around the Town
The staff at Carterton Town Council are dedicated to helping residents resolve any issues they have. This can range from the length of the grass on our verges to fly tipping. If a problem is brought to our attention, we will work tirelessly to solve it. That is where you, the residents, come in. Can you be our eyes and ears around the Town and let us know where we can help? If we don’t know about it, we can't fix it! To make contact, either come to see us at the Town Hall, call us on 01993 842156, submit a form via the Contact Us page of this website, or email twhitford@carterton-tc.gov.uk.

Lost Property
Please note that we now have a lost property page. If you have lost something in the Carterton area, please click here to check if it has been handed in at the Town Hall or click on the Community & Services tab.

We would welcome your comments on our website, and contact details can be found on the Contact Us page.